Tim & Angela Ploszaj
VBCC Mission Team Leaders
SHORT TERM MISSION TRIP
Sumpango, Guatemala | February 24 – March 2, 2024
Application Deadline: November 12
A Valley Brook team will travel to Sumpango, Guatemala to serve with our missionary, Jaylyn Perry, at Rompiendo Ciclos (Breaking Cycles). Breaking Cycles is a ministry founded by Guatemalans that works to break the cycles of lack of education, poverty, and abuse in the Mayan community of Sumpango through using programs to meet needs and share the hope of Christ with people.
The purpose of our trip is to engage in the mission of the kingdom of God and let him work through us and in us. We will be the hands of feet of Jesus by serving the community of Sumpango. Our work will include:
- light construction projects (e.g. building a cinderblock house)
- serving the children in the community by leading a bible school program
- making cross cultural friendships
- $1,400 per person (includes airfare, lodging, meals, and travel insurance)
*Financial Assistance: We have a scholarship fund; if you need financial help, please email a letter stating your need to Tim & Angela, [email protected], for consideration.
- Trip payments are tax deductible and the Valley Brook Missions Team can provide guidance on raising financial support.
- A $100 payment due when application is approved.
- The balance is due by 2/18/24.
- Additional payment details to be discussed after application approval.
Who Can Participate:
- Interested students and their parents will need to talk with Rob Wutka, Valley Brook Next Generation Director prior to completing a Trip Application. Contact Rob at 860-844-0001 or [email protected].
- Complete and submit the Short-Term Mission Trip application by Sunday, November 12.
Click here to download and print an application to complete online.
*Requires Adobe Acrobat reader to open and complete. Email [email protected] if you are unable to access the application.
- The willingness to do whatever it takes to serve others.
- Attend team building meetings where we will get to know one another, plan, and prepare for our mission trip. See meeting schedule below.
- Complete a "Short-Term Missions Workbook”. The team will work through this resource together. Participants will receive a copy after trip application is completed and approved.
- Attend the post-trip celebration and debriefing; date to be announced.
11:30 AM @ Valley Brook Community Church
- Sunday, January 7
- Sunday, January 14
- Sunday, February 4
- Sunday, February 18
Watch this short video to learn more about the mission of Breaking Cycles and how they serve the community and people of Sumpango or visit breakingcyclesguatemala.com.
Jaylyn Perry | Missionary Serving with Breaking Cycles
Jaylyn serves in Sumpango, Guatemala with Rompiendo Ciclos (Breaking Cycles) ministry. After working with the ministry on two different occasions for 6 months and completing her education, Jaylyn felt called to make a longer commitment to the work the ministry is doing to advance the kingdom of God in Guatemala. Breaking Cycles is a ministry founded by Guatemalans that works to break the cycles of lack of education, poverty, and abuse in the Mayan community of Sumpango through using programs to meet needs and share the hope of Christ with people.
The ministry partners with the local churches and pastors to support them in their work as well. Jaylyn will be joining the ministry team as a social worker to support the educational sponsorship program, home build construction, healthy family bunk bed program, and new job skills training center. Jaylyn has her master’s degree in Social Work and bachelor’s degrees in Global Studies and Social Work that give her skills which are a great addition to the ministry team. Jaylyn hopes to see Guatemalan children, youth, and families empowered by Christ to transform their community for generations to come.
Valley Brook supports the work Jaylyn is doing with Breaking Cycles through our monthly missions giving.
Learn about the other missions we support here.